Current Read: The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

Wednesday, January 20, 2016


Starting off a new feature on the blog with a book I've been wanting to read ever since it was published. I've heard so many great things about The Miniaturist and it goes without saying that it's one of those books you highly anticipate reading because of all the awards and amazing reviews it has received.

I was a bit skeptical about actually picking it up to read, to be quite honest. It's been on my shelf for about seven months after I finally found it on offer in my local WH Smiths. The reason why I was skeptical about actually reading it is because, you know when you've heard so many good things about a book or something in general that it might not be as great as what everyone else has been saying about it. So you avoid, avoid and avoid picking it up until you just take a small leap and open those first few pages and get swallowed in by the story.

So, I'm now reading it. I'm around 100 pages in. Usually this marks the time when I'm starting to form my own opinion of the book and getting a gist of where the plot may or may not be heading towards.

At the moment, it's keeping me guessing a lot. I like Nella as a character. I think she's very interesting and I'm not really keen on Marin. I feel like she's very snooty and narrow-minded when it comes to most things and I wish she would give Nella more of a chance to prove her worth. I'm a bit stumped at the whole miniaturist thing knowing exactly what her furniture or her husband's two dog looks like. I have a lot to find out still as the book is only really just getting started.

I think instead of doing book reviews, I'll stick to doing Current Read posts and perhaps an update when I'm around halfway through the book.

Has or is anyone else reading The Miniaturist? What are your thoughts? Did you think it lived up to the praise it has received or were you not that keen as others?

If you've not read The Miniaturist and aren't planning to: have you ever avoided reading a book that has received awards or amazing reviews? If so, what book was it and was it worth the read?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured

This Week's Popular Post

Search This Blog

Subscribe